The monitoring system is a tool that allows, among others, to track down stolen vehicles and return them to their rightful owners. There are three applicable solutions: based on GPS/GSM, using radio signals and combining these technologies. What is the difference between them and which can be considered the most effective?
Thanks to the vehicles location function, monitoring is the best anti- theft and actually after- theft protection. That is the opinion of police officers involved in working out vehicles oriented criminals. “Modules used for determining the position of vehicles are not able to prevent theft, but allow tracking of a car, so that policemen can take action and return the lost items to the rightful owners” – explains Dariusz Kwakszys, IT Manager at Gannet Guard Systems. On the market, there are three types of devices for vehicles tracking:
- GPS/GSM modules using the satellite signal and connectivity known from mobile phones,
- modules based on radio technology, sending a radio signal of high frequencies,
- modules offering combined system, i.e. GPS/GSM and the radio based system
The first technology allows you to monitor the position of a vehicle on a regular basis; the other works only after the theft (when activated) and the third one combines the features of both.
Experts from Gannet Guard Systems are agree that the radio based monitoring system of vehicles is much more perfect than solutions based solely on a GPS/GSM communication used in vehicles and machinery equipment. This is among others due to the degree of modules advancement and also due to obvious reasons, in which the radio communication is much more effective than satellite communication. This is due to several factors, and the most important are the accuracy of tracking and lack of dependence on telephone operators and the GPS signal.
These are the 9 most important differences between the GPS/GSM platforms and radio tracking:
- Radio system bases its operation on radio frequencies. Therefore, it is possible to find vehicles, even if they have been hidden in steel containers and underground car parks. “Radio waves of high frequencies need only microcracks, so that they can get out” – says Dariusz Kwakszys, IT Manager at Gannet Guard Systems.
- Radio system is independent from mobile operators in contrast to the GPS / GSM systems. Platforms using satellite communications require an active SIM card for operation, making one-way communication possible, on the basis of which position of the module is determined. In the case of the radio system, this problem disappears.
- Radio module is not connected to the power supply of the object and does not interfere with the electrical system of the vehicle as opposed to the GPS system. The device uses its own battery power. This enables installation in virtually any location of the vehicle, without access to the electrical harnesses. So it is more difficult for thieves to find the module and remove it.
- Radio system does not allow to monitor vehicles on a regular basis; it locates only after reporting the theft „ It is not possible to send data in real time, as it requires connection with the GPS satellites as well as with a phone operator, who will send data to the server through the GSM network. To locate the object you need the whole procedure, and the module can be activated only by our teams using the tracking equipment” – states Dariusz Kwakszys.
- After installation, the radio module goes into the sleep mode. It is activated in the need of tracking. As a result, the device battery is not practically used and lasts up to 5 years.
- Radio system has a greater accuracy than GPS. “Accuracy is really the highest possible and it is up to a few centimeters. It allows you to identify the exact location of the module in the vehicle, so there is no problem, for example, in determining, in which of the adjacent garages the tracking object is located” – says Dariusz Kwakszys.
- Radio systems are resistant to the jammers of GPS/GSM frequencies because they do not use this method of communication. This helps ensure that if a thief does not find and does not deactivate the device, the vehicle will be tracked down.
- You can not scan the radio system, because it does not send any signals. For this reason, a thief can not be sure that the car is secured.
- Location of a stolen vehicle is done physically. Once a car is tracked down, a company providing monitoring services begins an active tracking action. „To track a car or a machine, operators are needed, who with the use of a tracking device shall indicate the hiding place of the object” – explains Dariusz Kwakszys z Gannet Guard Systems.